The Centre for Pesticide Suicide Prevention is delighted to unveil a high-profile panel of speakers for our upcoming satellite event at the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) Virtual Conference.
The session will be dedicated to human rights, vulnerability, and prevention of pesticide poisoning. The panel includes prominent experts in human rights and public health:
- Dr. Marcos A Orellana, UN Special Rapporteur on toxics and human rights
- Sarojeni Rengam, Executive Director of PAN Asia Pacific
- Prof. Hanna-Andrea Rother, University of Cape Town
- Dr. Vandana Shiva, Environmental activist and author
- Baskut Tuncak, Director, Toxics Use Reduction Institute
- Dr. Leah Utyasheva, Centre for Pesticide Suicide Prevention
Highly hazardous pesticide poisoning is a common risk for many in agricultural communities in low-and middle-income countries. The negative impact of toxic pesticides on vulnerable communities make a strong case for the human rights-based approach to pesticide management.
This virtual event will take place on Monday 21 March 2022, 2pm – 5pm GMT, and is free and open to all.
Click on the tag below to read our recent publications on human rights and pesticide poisoning.